Here at AES we regard recycling not as a priority, but an obligation.
Maggie (Graduate Sustainability Consultant), is voluntarily challenging employee’s habits and attitudes towards recycling. With the aim to achieve the goal of reducing our company waste by half, over the upcoming year. Feeding off her degree in Sustainability and Environmental Management, her efforts include:
- Monthly waste audits
- Raising awareness of what is recyclable or not
- Pestering the lazy ones for not washing up empty milk bottles
- Praising the considerate ones for separating the film from plastic bottles
- Promoting the use of a sustainable web-based search engines like Ecosia
- Promoting the benefits of car sharing
“Discussing the topic with colleagues on a more personal level, has helped understanding. We have overcome obstacles such as inconvenience or lack of knowledge.” Margarita Shivarova
Maggie wants to provoke thought about the impacts of our actions to the environment and to pioneer the tools already at hand for reducing it.
It is no wonder that this dedication to recycling meant Maggie received Small Business Champion Runner Up at the recent Recycle Devon Awards in Exeter.